You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchasing songs through Apple Music

I'm new to Apple Music. I can't tell if I "own" a song in a playlist or if I have just been streaming it. Also, I do not want to purchase songs accidentally since I am already paying for Apple Music streaming service. It seems that Apple is making it really difficult to tell what I own and what I am just streaming. Seems shady to me.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 12:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 12:22 PM

You cannot purchase songs from the Apple Music subscription service. It is strictly a subscription service and you can access music from it only while you are still subscribed.

You can add the Purchase Date column to the song list view by right clicking on the column headers and selecting Purchase Date.

If it doesn't have a purchase date, it was not purchased. It was either added from Apple Music or imported into iTunes from a different source.

It also takes a few steps to actually purchase a song from the iTunes Store section. You need to actually click on the price of the track or album, and confirm the purchase.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2022 12:22 PM in response to BonsterFedUp

You cannot purchase songs from the Apple Music subscription service. It is strictly a subscription service and you can access music from it only while you are still subscribed.

You can add the Purchase Date column to the song list view by right clicking on the column headers and selecting Purchase Date.

If it doesn't have a purchase date, it was not purchased. It was either added from Apple Music or imported into iTunes from a different source.

It also takes a few steps to actually purchase a song from the iTunes Store section. You need to actually click on the price of the track or album, and confirm the purchase.

Purchasing songs through Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.