You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac early 2009 .. want to install a Mac OS earlier than El Capitan...how to do this?

Hi I just formatted my early 2009 24" iMac back to factory specs. The iMac is a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512mb video card in it and 8gb of RAM.

I would like to install a Mac OS that is more recent than the Snow Leopard it is running, but a lower version than El Capitan. I was hoping for either Mavericks or Yosemite.

Wondering what my options are, and if I have any, where would I download the Mac OS from?

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 11:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 11:32 AM

Click here and pick a version. Mavericks isn't available.

(225849)

3 replies

Sep 30, 2022 1:11 PM in response to Niel

I was on that page earlier and downloaded Yosemite. Once I finished downloading and installing it showed me running 10.6.8 (which is Snow Leopard). I've tried it a few times after that and same thing.

I also can't seem to log into my Apple ID. I'm using the same one on my newer iMac. Is there something saying you can't use the same Apple ID on 2 computer you own?

iMac early 2009 .. want to install a Mac OS earlier than El Capitan...how to do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.