You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Recovery After Water Damage

I dropped my phone in a river and found it after probably 10 minutes or so. After I retrieved it, it was still on and continued to work and I continued to take photos with it. When I got home it was off and not turning on. I soaked it in rice overnight and its still not turning on.

When I plug it into the computer it does recognize the device. It is NOT backed up and I really want my photos and videos back. So, what are my options? Is a third party app like the iMyPhone D back a good option? I have heard the Genius bar cant do much for me.

Please help!!

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 9:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 10:04 AM

Not having things backed up before catastrophe strikes is unfortunate.

Did you by chance sync photos with iCloud? If you did, they should be there. If you don't sync with iCloud and you don't have a backup, your photos are surely gone. There are services who claim (often at high expense), they may be able to retrieve photos off a destroyed iPhone. But the expense can be wasted and yield no photos.

To know if you do sync with iCloud, go to your computer and www.icloud.com - Sign in with your Apple ID and Apple ID Password and open Photos. If they're not there, they're gone.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2022 10:04 AM in response to mrs_dpm

Not having things backed up before catastrophe strikes is unfortunate.

Did you by chance sync photos with iCloud? If you did, they should be there. If you don't sync with iCloud and you don't have a backup, your photos are surely gone. There are services who claim (often at high expense), they may be able to retrieve photos off a destroyed iPhone. But the expense can be wasted and yield no photos.

To know if you do sync with iCloud, go to your computer and www.icloud.com - Sign in with your Apple ID and Apple ID Password and open Photos. If they're not there, they're gone.

Photo Recovery After Water Damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.