You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad won't charge

Iinstalled 15.7 on IPAD and now it will not charge. Shows -Not Charging, have tried different chargers and cords. On Apple charger if I do a hard reset it may charge, sometimes

IS this a 15.7 problem? Also read where this update was not meant for my Iphone SE (early model) - but it installed it anyway.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 1:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 5:04 PM

When I said that it started when 15.7 was installed, that was when it started. I had no charging problems before 15.7, but as soon as it was installed I have had nothing but problems. Now whenever I charge, I have to do at least one hard reset and if it works it charges very slowly - overnight usually doesn't get to 100%. Sometimes after a hard reset it will charge for a moment and then switch to "not charging". It is not a charger or a cable problem and I have cleaned the receptacle at least twice. Did the battery go bad as soon as 15.7 was installed - I don't think so..

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2022 5:04 PM in response to LotusPilot

When I said that it started when 15.7 was installed, that was when it started. I had no charging problems before 15.7, but as soon as it was installed I have had nothing but problems. Now whenever I charge, I have to do at least one hard reset and if it works it charges very slowly - overnight usually doesn't get to 100%. Sometimes after a hard reset it will charge for a moment and then switch to "not charging". It is not a charger or a cable problem and I have cleaned the receptacle at least twice. Did the battery go bad as soon as 15.7 was installed - I don't think so..

Sep 16, 2022 1:05 PM in response to ChuckieMcc

These support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 22, 2022 3:45 PM in response to ChuckieMcc

Yours is clearly an unusual failure if related to update to iPadOS 15.7. Having myself updated four iPads Pro to iPadOS 15.7 without issue, I cannot replicate the issue that you report.

Likewise, given the vast numbers of iPad deployed worldwide, if your experience was representative of a common failure, this Support Community would be filled with similar reports. Clearly, this is not a widespread problem.

I can only recommend that you seek assistance directly from Apple Support or the technicians at your local Apple Store - as already suggested.

My iPad won't charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.