You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was given this ipad from a friend, but they left their stuff on it and reset it but that caused an activation lock

I was given this ipad from a friend, but they left their stuff on it and reset it but that caused an activation lock can I have help

iPad 2

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 3:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 4:02 PM

Trevorsss wrote:

i don’t fully understand. It was a goodbye gift from that friend so I’m not able to contact them.

Then I will make this simple: recycle it.

You here have an iPad which is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen iPad.

Your friend can remotely unlock via iCloud, or the executor can request an unlock if “not able to contact them” is due to death.

This iPad will forever be useless to you without that password.

We can’t help you with this.

Apple won’t help without proof you don’t have.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2022 4:02 PM in response to Trevorsss

Trevorsss wrote:

i don’t fully understand. It was a goodbye gift from that friend so I’m not able to contact them.

Then I will make this simple: recycle it.

You here have an iPad which is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen iPad.

Your friend can remotely unlock via iCloud, or the executor can request an unlock if “not able to contact them” is due to death.

This iPad will forever be useless to you without that password.

We can’t help you with this.

Apple won’t help without proof you don’t have.

I was given this ipad from a friend, but they left their stuff on it and reset it but that caused an activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.