You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start-up Disk gone from MacBook Air

When my coworker retired, he took the start up disk to the MacBook Air. I can’t get any further than the blinking question mark. Can I purchase a new start up disk?

I

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 7:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 9:13 AM

Hi,

Boot in Recovery Mode then reformat internal drive and reinstall macOS.

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

2 replies

Aug 30, 2022 3:54 PM in response to Its-A-Small-World

OWC sells a drop in replacement SSD which is compatible with the proprietary Apple SSD connector. However, to use a third party SSD requires the laptop previously had its system firmware updated to work with an NVMe SSD which means the laptop at one time had macOS 10.13+ installed on it. Plus you will need to use macOS 10.13+ with the new NVMe SSD. If the laptop is compatible with macOS 12.x Monterey, then you will only be able to install Monterey if macOS Monterey had already been installed on the Apple SSD since the Monterey installer won't update the laptop's system firmware the first time it is installed without an internal Apple OEM SSD.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc

Start-up Disk gone from MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.