You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 3 month old Ipad from which I removed the SIM and installed it on a new Iphone se. Set up seems to be done, except I can't make or receive calls. What am I missing?

I have a 3 month old Ipad from which I removed the SIM and installed it on a new Iphone se. Set up seems to be done, except I can't make or receive calls. What am I missing? My carrier is Spectrum.

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 8:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 9:15 AM

Your iPad, since it has no cellular voice capabilities, was likely equipped with a data only SIM. To use voice services, you will need to ask your cellular service provider to contract with you for voice and data services for your iPhone and to provide you with a SIM card to support that contract. The phone number associated with your data SIM is not for voice calls but for your iPad to access the cellular provider's radio network.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 26, 2022 9:15 AM in response to RemyFloyd

Your iPad, since it has no cellular voice capabilities, was likely equipped with a data only SIM. To use voice services, you will need to ask your cellular service provider to contract with you for voice and data services for your iPhone and to provide you with a SIM card to support that contract. The phone number associated with your data SIM is not for voice calls but for your iPad to access the cellular provider's radio network.

I have a 3 month old Ipad from which I removed the SIM and installed it on a new Iphone se. Set up seems to be done, except I can't make or receive calls. What am I missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.