You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13 2020 Battery Health Decreasing Rapidly

I noticed that my MacBook Pro 13 2020 battery health has decreased to 88% in less than an year from purchasing and with only 88 charging cycles. I need to know if this is to be expected. I always keep the laptop plugged in at work and only use the battery in the evening for few hours. And very rarely I would charge a peripheral from the laptop.

What is the warranty procedure if it reduces for more than 80% before 1 year. And also if this is to be expected?

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 6:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 7:18 AM

damidurajapaksha wrote:

I noticed that my MacBook Pro 13 2020 battery health has decreased to 88% in less than an year from purchasing and with only 88 charging cycles. I need to know if this is to be expected. I always keep the laptop plugged in at work and only use the battery in the evening for few hours. And very rarely I would charge a peripheral from the laptop.

What is the warranty procedure if it reduces for more than 80% before 1 year. And also if this is to be expected?

If it drops to 80% or below only then will Apple service/replace the battery under warranty.

I would not be concerned—this battery health % fluctuates over time both up and down.

Let the "Battery Health Management" software worry about managing your battery...

About battery health management in Mac notebooks —( introduced back with macOS10.15.5)

w/ silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

Warranty start here—Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2022 7:18 AM in response to damidurajapaksha

damidurajapaksha wrote:

If it drops to 80% or below only then will Apple service/replace the battery under warranty.

I would not be concerned—this battery health % fluctuates over time both up and down.

Let the "Battery Health Management" software worry about managing your battery...

About battery health management in Mac notebooks —( introduced back with macOS10.15.5)

w/ silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

Warranty start here—Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5.1

MacBook Pro 13 2020 Battery Health Decreasing Rapidly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.