You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My old mac has a cracked screen and I can't use it. Is there a way to do migration without doing anything on the old one?

My old mac has a cracked screen and I can't use it. Is there a way to do migration without doing anything on the old one?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 8:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 8:52 AM

If you have been making backups of this old Mac with Time Machine, you could use Migration Assistant on your new one to restore data from those backups.

Alternately, you may be able to use Target Disk mode, if you don't have backups.

Ref: Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

2 replies

Aug 20, 2022 10:20 AM in response to tvmo

Target Disk Mode does not require your Mac to boot up MacOS, because the code to do target disk mode is all in ROM.

--------

In addition to the above suggestions, you could connect an external display or TV set.

Although you may need an adapter, no additional configuration should be required.

If you see only wallpaper, Command-BrightnessDown toggles the sense of [√] Mirror displays, to make the external display show the same images as the built-in, if not already.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.