You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Broken Display Screen and Track Pad

Has anyone ever had this happen and how did you fix it?

Flew with United Airlines the day before they released information that they had to ground and cancel flights due to 5g radiation? when they were testing out 5g on the flights - don't know if this has anything to do with it. But I found a few people that said the same thing happened to their computers while flying due to the air pressure...

I had my computer with me and held it the whole time so I know nothing happened as far as dropping it or pressure on it from my bag. I got home and opened it to find the screen had lines through out the whole screen, would dim and brighten on its own, twitching and I could not use the mouse pad. Ultimately I did have to buy a new one since repairs would cost as much as getting a new one. But i would like to use it for work and not overload my new macbook. Any thoughts on what the actual damage is? What specific part connects the screen to the track pad? Or if the screen is replaced will the track pad sort itself out?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 7:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 7:37 AM

lyssakate415 wrote:

Flew with United Airlines the day before they released information that they had to ground and cancel flights due to 5g radiation? when they were testing out 5g on the flights - don't know if this has anything to do with it. But I found a few people that said the same thing happened to their computers while flying due to the air pressure...

I had my computer with me and held it the whole time so I know nothing happened as far as dropping it or pressure on it from my bag. I got home and opened it to find the screen had lines through out the whole screen, would dim and brighten on its own, twitching and I could not use the mouse pad. Ultimately I did have to buy a new one since repairs would cost as much as getting a new one. But i would like to use it for work and not overload my new macbook. Any thoughts on what the actual damage is? What specific part connects the screen to the track pad? Or if the screen is replaced will the track pad sort itself out?

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2022 7:37 AM in response to lyssakate415

lyssakate415 wrote:

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Aug 19, 2022 9:47 AM in response to lyssakate415

The 'connection' between the trackpad and the display is through the computer -- there is no wiring that connects the two otherwise.

To work around a broken trackpad, connect an external USB Mouse.

To work around malfunctioning display, connect your Mac to en external display or an HDMI TV set. If your Mac does not have a port you can use directly, you will need an adapter.

Macbook Pro Broken Display Screen and Track Pad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.