You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on verify identity. Numboard won’t go away

Trying to setup new iPhone. Stuck on the “verify your identity screen”. I enter the last 4 of social security number, but there is no continue button to hit to move on to the next step

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 6:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 9:26 AM

I had this problem as well, and after multiple calls to Apple and AT&T the issue was resolved by updating the software on the new phone, from iOS 5.1 to 5.6. To do this, I plugged the phone into my Mac laptop and installed the update (took 15-20 minutes). After that, the Quick setup worked in about 10 minutes (after 15+ hours of being stuck on that "verify your identity screen") .

Another thing that might have interfered with the setup is I followed Apple's setup instructions and inserted the old SIM card into the new phone, but the new SIM card that Apple installed had all the necessary info. I found that out after all the apps were transferred but still I couldn't make phone calls. That took a quick call to AT&T to verify the SIM card number.

You will find that Apple Support claims that they've never heard of this problem and it's a carrier issue. The carrier will say that Apple's engineers can fix it by tweaking something on their end. Lots of back and forth. But if you google the "apple iphone setup stuck on verify identity" you will see the question goes back several iPhone models and the support staff at both companies should be aware of the issue by now.

I hope that either updating the phone's software or using the new SIM card helps in your case.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2022 9:26 AM in response to catand919

I had this problem as well, and after multiple calls to Apple and AT&T the issue was resolved by updating the software on the new phone, from iOS 5.1 to 5.6. To do this, I plugged the phone into my Mac laptop and installed the update (took 15-20 minutes). After that, the Quick setup worked in about 10 minutes (after 15+ hours of being stuck on that "verify your identity screen") .

Another thing that might have interfered with the setup is I followed Apple's setup instructions and inserted the old SIM card into the new phone, but the new SIM card that Apple installed had all the necessary info. I found that out after all the apps were transferred but still I couldn't make phone calls. That took a quick call to AT&T to verify the SIM card number.

You will find that Apple Support claims that they've never heard of this problem and it's a carrier issue. The carrier will say that Apple's engineers can fix it by tweaking something on their end. Lots of back and forth. But if you google the "apple iphone setup stuck on verify identity" you will see the question goes back several iPhone models and the support staff at both companies should be aware of the issue by now.

I hope that either updating the phone's software or using the new SIM card helps in your case.

Stuck on verify identity. Numboard won’t go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.