You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to record sound into my iMac

I recently purchased an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020

3.8 GHz 8 core Intel Core i7) - iMac Serial-H1***N7C

Im trying to get sound into my Mac.

I use an Alesis MultiMix12 FireWire mixer that has 2 FireWire outputs.. so I need some form of connection (cable) to link the 2 devices.. FireWire to USB-A or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)

can anyone help?  

Thanks in advance

Richard

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 6:19 PM

You would chain these 2 adapters together to connect your Alesis Multimix to your iMac:

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple

You will also need a Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 cable. The FW400 male end plugs into your Alesis Multimix; the FW800 male end plugs into the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter.

The conversion is from Firewire to Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (bidirectional). There is no known actual Firewire-to-USB conversion; beware of any adapters that claim to do so.

This combo has worked for other users needing to connect old FW video cameras to their Macs; it should work just as well in your case.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 17, 2022 6:19 PM in response to Digital Dick

You would chain these 2 adapters together to connect your Alesis Multimix to your iMac:

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple

You will also need a Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 cable. The FW400 male end plugs into your Alesis Multimix; the FW800 male end plugs into the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter.

The conversion is from Firewire to Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (bidirectional). There is no known actual Firewire-to-USB conversion; beware of any adapters that claim to do so.

This combo has worked for other users needing to connect old FW video cameras to their Macs; it should work just as well in your case.

Trying to record sound into my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.