You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delay when moving and renaming files locally

I'm having a horrendous problem that is really killing my productivity.

Quite a lot of the time (but not all of it) when I try to move a file say from one folder to another, I get a message with swiping scroller saying 'preparing to move' - this sits on screen for up to 40 seconds instead of just moving the file instantly like you would expect.

Similarly renaming files - often I rename a file and the file immediately reverts back to the old name onscreen, then after about 30-40 secs the new filename is applied.

Anyone experienced this?

On an M1 Mac with Monterey 12.5 - used Macs for years never had this before on any other machines.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 11:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 10:18 AM

Steve C wrote:

Quite a lot of the time (but not all of it) when I try to move a file say from one folder to another, I get a message with swiping scroller saying 'preparing to move' - this sits on screen for up to 40 seconds instead of just moving the file instantly like you would expect.

Similarly renaming files - often I rename a file and the file immediately reverts back to the old name onscreen, then after about 30-40 secs the new filename is applied.

Anyone experienced this?

On an M1 Mac with Monterey 12.5 - used Macs for years never had this before on any other machines.

Thanks

I would start here—

Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

Volume level

Container level

Parent drive

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2022 10:18 AM in response to Steve C

Steve C wrote:

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks

I would start here—

Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

Volume level

Container level

Parent drive

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Delay when moving and renaming files locally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.