You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Accounts in System Preferences hangs/freezes

I needed to change the password for one of my "Internet Accounts," but there was nowhere to do it in System Preferences. I deleted the account, planning to add it back, but now every time I click "Google" to add it back, it says that it requires completing authentication in my web browser. When I click "Open Browser," it opens a small window (presumably trying to open Safari, which is not my default browser), then hangs. It jumps to the back of my screen, behind any other windows, won't let me click on it anymore, and just shows a spinning loading icon indefinitely until I click "cancel."

I tried opening Safari and logging into the Google account first, and when I tried to add it with that window open, it took me through the authentication process in the little Safari window, but never brought me back to Internet Accounts, which remained untouched despite the fact that I had just authenticated my account. When I tried to replicate this, it just got stuck like I described above.

I need access to this account. How can I get it back?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 2:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 12:33 PM

If this is a work-provided notebook, you will need to contact your company's IT folks for assistance with this matter. If it is a personal notebook, that they allow you to use to access their resources, you would still need to contact them.

8 replies

Jul 29, 2022 11:34 AM in response to chyzar

To be more specific, my account is through work, so this won't work because "App Passwords" doesn't show up as an option. The page you linked says:

3.On the 'Signing in to Google' panel, choose App passwords. If you don’t see this option:

• 2-Step Verification is not set up for your account
    • 2-Step Verification is set up for security keys only
    • Your account is through work, school or other organisation
    • You’ve turned on Advanced Protection for your account

My account is through work, so it looks like this isn't an option.

Internet Accounts in System Preferences hangs/freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.