You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recycle Old IMAC

I have a 2012 and tried upgrading one last time about a year ago and it crashed; won't start up at all for me to do anything. It can no longer be upgraded. Screen is in good shape. If I take it to theApple Store will they remove hard drive and recycle for me?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 7:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 8:16 AM

They will recycle it but I've not heard of them removing a hard drive fo a customer before recycling. We are not Apple so do not know what options they have "under the counter" that are not published. Contact the Store you plan to use and ask them'

There is some recycling information in the FAQs in Apple's Trade-in page:

Apple Trade In - Apple

However, this isn no mention of their removing a drive. There is a section labeled, "Is my personal data safe?"

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2022 8:16 AM in response to cbmsmith

They will recycle it but I've not heard of them removing a hard drive fo a customer before recycling. We are not Apple so do not know what options they have "under the counter" that are not published. Contact the Store you plan to use and ask them'

There is some recycling information in the FAQs in Apple's Trade-in page:

Apple Trade In - Apple

However, this isn no mention of their removing a drive. There is a section labeled, "Is my personal data safe?"

Recycle Old IMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.