You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Family Sharing to Apple One Family

I have an Apple Family sharing plan. I currently pay separately for the 200 GB of storage and Apple Music. I share that with three other people. Apple Music is shared among Apple devices and one person with a Droid device. iCloud storage is mainly used by me and two others with Apple devices.

I am interested in "upgrading" to Apple One Family. However, I want to make sure that the following is true. While my billing for Storage will change, I want to make sure that nothing stored in iCloud on the Family sharing plan will get deleted when I change over to Apple One. I also want to make sure that nay Music that has been downloaded or playlists that have been created will not get lost in the transition to Apple One.

Finally, do any of my shared users need to do anything like reactivate any of the features that they are using now? I'd truly like this to be seamless for them.

Thanx... Jon

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 7:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 2:03 PM

You only risk losing data if you do not continuously have coverage for the extra data. Doing what you are planning means you (and others) do have continuous coverage.

As for your family members, any subscriptions they have that would now be covered by your Apple One subscription would be canceled automatically. I believe that should one of them wish to ontinue to have a personal iCloud subscription then they could sign up for one, as discussed in one of my earlier links:

Bundle Apple subscriptions with Apple One - Apple Support

"If you already subscribe to Apple Music, Apple News+, Apple Arcade, or Apple TV+, you don't need to cancel those subscriptions. They will automatically be canceled when you're billed for Apple One."

In other words nothing bad will happen to their Apple Music because yet again there will be a continuous and automatic transition from personal plans to coverage under your plan. It's only if you decide to stop your Apple One subscription that they then need to be careful to start their own plans again before your plan ends.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 5, 2022 2:03 PM in response to jhyieslame

You only risk losing data if you do not continuously have coverage for the extra data. Doing what you are planning means you (and others) do have continuous coverage.

As for your family members, any subscriptions they have that would now be covered by your Apple One subscription would be canceled automatically. I believe that should one of them wish to ontinue to have a personal iCloud subscription then they could sign up for one, as discussed in one of my earlier links:

"If you already subscribe to Apple Music, Apple News+, Apple Arcade, or Apple TV+, you don't need to cancel those subscriptions. They will automatically be canceled when you're billed for Apple One."

In other words nothing bad will happen to their Apple Music because yet again there will be a continuous and automatic transition from personal plans to coverage under your plan. It's only if you decide to stop your Apple One subscription that they then need to be careful to start their own plans again before your plan ends.

Jul 5, 2022 10:04 AM in response to jhyieslame

Here are links to Apple documents addressing your questions:

What happens to your iCloud storage when you sign up for Apple One - Apple Support

The transition for you and your family should be relatively seamless. Their individual subscriptions should automatically cancel when you sign up for a Family level subscription to Apple One and you are all in the same Family.

Jul 5, 2022 11:23 AM in response to Limnos

Thanx for the links, but they really don't answer my questions. I would be keeping the same amount of storage if I upgraded to Apple One, and the implication is that it's simply a matter of one payment going away and a new payment taking its place. Apple has a good track record of not trashing data, but nothing in that article says that all data from the previous plan will be preserved.

And neither article addresses the status of Apple Music downloads and neither of them address whether or not a current family share member will have to do anything when I make the switch concerning what they have now.

I'd already asked this question of Apple and came away with the same sense of uncertainty which is why I posted it here.

Upgrade Family Sharing to Apple One Family

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.