You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My sister has died [I have the death certificate] and left iphones and ipads which would be ideal for the nephews and nieces. How do we get access to these as we do not have passwords nor Apple ID

My sister died unexpectedly and left a number of iphones and ipads which would be ideal for her young nephews and niece. I have the Death Certificate and other documentation including solicitors correcpondence.

We do not know her passwords nor her Apple ID so how can we get access so we can pass these iphones and ipads on to her relatives?

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 8:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 8:56 AM

I'm sorry for you loss.

If you're not setup as a Legacy Contact you'll need to obtain a court order or other legal documentation to request that information from Apple.

Please read this support page for information about the court order or other legal documentation and what it must include: How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2022 8:56 AM in response to DAS1954

I'm sorry for you loss.

If you're not setup as a Legacy Contact you'll need to obtain a court order or other legal documentation to request that information from Apple.

Please read this support page for information about the court order or other legal documentation and what it must include: How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Jul 15, 2022 8:03 AM in response to pjswiz

Das1954 I'm sorry if you are seeing any of this but I'm sure you are sharing some of my pain.

Apple should be ashamed of treating greiving families this way. But I get it. They probably don't pay for the call centers and others to really empathetically care about this issue. Everyone denies death till it arrives in the end. Apple is no exception. I hear it in every conversation 😰.

If you have an iPad with serial number, death certificate, and you can prove relationship to Apple Store, then why can't that be enough? Why do we need a court order? That seems way overboard. Courts cost money and for grieving families it's just more burden. 😥

Why can we not just take an iPad with a death certificate/marriage certificate of need be... to an apple store? It has a serial number.

My sister has died [I have the death certificate] and left iphones and ipads which would be ideal for the nephews and nieces. How do we get access to these as we do not have passwords nor Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.