You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing photos on my MacBook Air

I want to take an old photo of myself and white out the background.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 12:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 5:06 AM

You could try this

Extract an image or remove a background in Preview on MacOfficial Apple Support › guide › preview › mac

It is not really comfortable, but it may work.

If you need more you will need an additional App, I use Photoshop but that makes only sense if you use it very frequently.

2 replies

Jul 2, 2022 6:12 AM in response to HelpDeewithMac93

On the current system version you can only remove the background from Portrait Mode photos.

Are you in a hurry? If you wait for the macOS 13 Ventura release in the autumn, you will be able to do this directly in Photos. Photos 8 will allow you to copy the main subject from a photo with a transparent background. It will be supported as a part if the "Visual Lookup" feature. The main subject of a photo can be copied to the clipboard with a transparent background, so you can paste it onto a different background. see: macOS Ventura Preview - New Features - Apple

Lift subject from background

Lift the subject from an image or isolate the subject by removing the background. This works in Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, Safari, and more.

For the time being, I am using Luminar Neo to separate people from the background.

Editing photos on my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.