You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Pairing and Software Updates

I am trying to pair my Apple Watch but my iPhone is saying I need to do a phone software update before. When I go to my settings to check for any updates it says my phone is up to date but the Apple Watch app won’t let me pair my watch until “I need to first update the software on my iPhone”

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 7:10 AM

5 replies

Jun 22, 2022 7:41 AM in response to Kimortega

What model of phone is it and what version of ios is it running?

What model of watch is it and what version of WatchOS is it running?.

What troubleshooting steps have you tried?.

What errror messages are you receiving?.

Has this watch ever been paired to another phone?(Very important).

Jun 22, 2022 10:35 AM in response to Kimortega

The apple watch 3 GPS only has only 8GB of internal storage, most of that is taken

up by the operating system and other critical software with not much space left for the

update.So installing or even pairing to an ios15 phone is proving nearly

impossible for just about all the watch 3 users on this forum.

same applies to Apple watch 1 and 2 they are almost impossible to either pair or

update with an ios 14 or ios15 phone.

Your best course of action is to call in at an apple store and ask them to pair/update it for you.

Update;

With the announcement by Apple of ios16 and watchos9 later in the year,it was revealed that the minimum spec for these upgrades is Iphone8 and Apple Watch 4.

So the watch 3 will NOT be receiving those updates.

Apple Watch Pairing and Software Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.