You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I have a folder on my iCloud Drive containing files that I do NOT want synced across my devices

Over the years I've had endless frustrating issues with my iCloud Drive not syncing across my devices when it should, however this time I have a scenario where I specifically DO NOT want syncing. I have about 40GB of video files on my almost full MacBook Pro that I want to archive into iCloud so I can free up that space on my laptop. I was hoping I could create a folder on my iCloud Drive (e.g. named "Unsynced Archive") and drag that 40GB of files into it - the desired effect being that those files are MOVED into iCloud i.e. deleted from my laptop thus freeing up the 40GB. I don't want that 40GB synced to any of my other devices either - I just want them in iCloud as though they were on an external hard drive and I have the ability to locally download any of those files on demand to whatever iCloud device I choose. Is this possible? Also, I'm using Big Sur.

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 7:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 7:44 AM

No. At present offline storage is not a feature of iCloud as it is primarily a synchronization service. If you wish to have offline cloud storage, you would need to look into a different provider. You may wish to use an external drive instead.

Regardless, be sure to backup all of your data regularly

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2022 7:44 AM in response to Mick_M

No. At present offline storage is not a feature of iCloud as it is primarily a synchronization service. If you wish to have offline cloud storage, you would need to look into a different provider. You may wish to use an external drive instead.

Regardless, be sure to backup all of your data regularly

Can I have a folder on my iCloud Drive containing files that I do NOT want synced across my devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.