You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI Routing Issues - What am I missing?

Hi all,

I’ve got a hardware synth and a MIDI controller keyboard. Both are connected to Mac by USB and they both work fine together within my DAW (ie press key on controller = synth makes noise).

I’d also like to have them working without the DAW so I don’t have to fire it up every time I want to play around with the synth. I’ve followed the Apple instructions and made the connections between the devices in Audio MIDI Setup (at least I think I have) but nothing happens. I’ve got Impact Out routing to Prophet In. When I put on the Apple test mode it beeps when I press a key on the keyboard but the synth makes no noise. There must be something obvious I’m missing! Any help appreciated.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 1:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 7:52 AM

achillespilot wrote:

Hi all,

I’ve got a hardware synth and a MIDI controller keyboard. Both are connected to Mac by USB and they both work fine together within my DAW (ie press key on controller = synth makes noise).

I’d also like to have them working without the DAW so I don’t have to fire it up every time I want to play around with the synth. I’ve followed the Apple instructions and made the connections between the devices in Audio MIDI Setup (at least I think I have) but nothing happens. I’ve got Impact Out routing to Prophet In. When I put on the Apple test mode it beeps when I press a key on the keyboard but the synth makes no noise. There must be something obvious I’m missing! Any help appreciated.

Set up MIDI devices using Audio MIDI Setup on Mac - Apple ...

Audio MIDI Setup User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If you still have issue—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 15, 2022 7:52 AM in response to achillespilot

achillespilot wrote:

Hi all,

Set up MIDI devices using Audio MIDI Setup on Mac - Apple ...

Audio MIDI Setup User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If you still have issue—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

MIDI Routing Issues - What am I missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.