You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When my Apple Watch and iPhone are not near each other, should calls to my iPhone ring on the watch?

Thanks ahead of time. I am getting conflicting information from Verzion techs. I have an apple watch/cellular that is attached to my cell phone.

When the watch and phone are not near each other, should calls to the cell phone ring on the watch?

Some techs tell me yes. Another says no, that if the watch is off/not nearby, the call does not ring on the watch.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 7:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 8:57 AM

The Apple Watch should ring, assuming it has a good cellular signal.

HOWEVER, you should not turn off your iPhone, as there are some features that still require the iPhone to talk to the Apple Watch via the Internet, such as SMS/MMS TEXTing messages (traditional cellular texting), and some other features. The iPhone does not need to be with you, but for these extra features to work, the iPhone must be powered on and able to connect to the Internet.

Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

Read the footnotes at the bottom of this page. Well actually read the entire page.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2022 8:57 AM in response to HBL57

The Apple Watch should ring, assuming it has a good cellular signal.

HOWEVER, you should not turn off your iPhone, as there are some features that still require the iPhone to talk to the Apple Watch via the Internet, such as SMS/MMS TEXTing messages (traditional cellular texting), and some other features. The iPhone does not need to be with you, but for these extra features to work, the iPhone must be powered on and able to connect to the Internet.

Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

Read the footnotes at the bottom of this page. Well actually read the entire page.

When my Apple Watch and iPhone are not near each other, should calls to my iPhone ring on the watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.