You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine locks external drives

The current versions of Monterey deletes data on an external drive when the drive is selected as a back-up. See below.

After back up the disk was locked as Read only. See also below. No padlock to change access to the disk.

This is a new feature. I have been using external hard drives for manual storage offline and as a Time machine backup without issue.

I have a 4TB disk and want to use it for multiple purposes.

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 8:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 8:39 PM

Apple has decided that for Monterey using a TimeMachine drive for 12 or 13 other purposes makes no sense. TM locks the drive and makes it TM-ONLY. You can reformat the drive to be multi-purpose data drive, but TM takes complete control.

Not that a backup drive being a data drive as well makes much sense, at least to me.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2022 8:39 PM in response to kiwiappleman

Apple has decided that for Monterey using a TimeMachine drive for 12 or 13 other purposes makes no sense. TM locks the drive and makes it TM-ONLY. You can reformat the drive to be multi-purpose data drive, but TM takes complete control.

Not that a backup drive being a data drive as well makes much sense, at least to me.

Time machine locks external drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.