You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing DVD with restricted owner access

A friend has been copying some of my video tapes onto DVD. Unfortunately, the only owner with read permission is for his computer. These DVD work find on a Window system, but the Mac OS X after El Capitan do not allow access. I was able to copy these onto the computer by using "sudo cp -R dvdfile newloc", but that no longer works ( I am now using Big Sur 11.6.4 ).

I not able to see the content of the disk and so don't know a way to change ownership. I can use Disk Utility to see the DVD player, but can't get at the volume. I don't have issues with other DVDs on the Mac.

I tried using Parallels software to open a "Windows" session, but it also seems to run into issues. I didn't spend much time on this approach.

I'm currently booting with window to make the copies, but it is a hassle. Has anyone else have this problem? Is there an alternative solution?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 23, 2022 2:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 3:15 PM

The sudo cp command is now working again on my system. I'm not exactly clear what fixed it, but suspect that I either had a bad connecting wire or hub, so the DVD player was not getting the proper power need.

1 reply

Accessing DVD with restricted owner access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.