You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos edited in Photos app show as original when added to iMovie

I am trying to edit photos in Photos app, and add the edited photos to a movie in iMovie. The edited photo shows in the thumbnail when clicking "Photos" in the left menu, but in the preview and in the movie it is showing the original. What gives? Why can't I add the edited version?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 1, 2022 7:32 PM

6 replies

May 4, 2022 10:12 AM in response to SlimBlackHole

Agreed. It should work. Several other posters have had the same issue. For some reason, there have been lots of glitchy things with Montery 12.3. Since the Photos app is built into the operating system, that might account for it not interfacing correctly with iMovie. Or maybe it's the iMovie update that is not referencing the Photos app properly. If so, I suspect that a future Monterey or iMovie update update would cure that. Meanwhile, we are stuck with workarounds.

You might just be able to drag the edited photo from the Photos app library directly into an iMovie timeline. and have it carry over the edits. Or drag to the desktop and then to the timeline. Both methods work with Mojave and iMovie 10.1.12 that I am running. Not perfect, but a lot fewer clicks.

-- Rich

Photos edited in Photos app show as original when added to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.