You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email content missing

I regularly get emails with no content. The is no message that says "no content" just a blank page under the header. There does not appear to be anything wrong with the emails as they will open on my iPhone or iPad with no trouble.

I appears that the Mail app downloads the headers first and then runs through downloading the content. Sometimes the content just does not download. Again no message just a blank page. Always from a mail list. If I forward the email from my phone the content arrives ok.

I am running a MacBook Pro 14" M1 with Monterey 12.01 and Mail version 15. My eMail is from a Gmail account.

I have looked at previous questions here and the links have not helped.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 11:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 11:50 PM

Hey there!

Can you say if this goes for every account that you have in the Mail app? Or just one specific account?

I’m not sure on what you’ve tried before, but I’d give these steps a try if it goes for all accounts:

First, rebuild your Mailboxes:

Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Otherwise, I would force a re-index:

Quit the Mail app.

Open Finder.

While holding the Option key, on the top menu click Go > Library.

In the ~/Library, open:

Mail > V9 > Mail Data.

In there, delete any file beginning with “Envelope Index”.

Relaunch the Mail app while holding the Shift key, and let the mail re-download.

I’d think that would do the trick.

Otherwise, if the issue is specific to one account, I would delete the account in System Preferences > Internet Accounts, and re-add it. Just make sure it’s an IMAP account as most are nowadays, but still always a good idea to keep backups, and even exporting copies of your Mailboxes:

Import or export mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Another possible reason, would be network issues. Especially if it affects all accounts.

I would check for any VPN running in System Preferences > Network. If you have an interface on the left column indicating some VPN or security software, try clicking on it, clicking the “-“ bis low to remove it, click “Apply” restart the Mac and test.

Hope something here helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 28, 2022 11:50 PM in response to kiwiappleman

Hey there!

Can you say if this goes for every account that you have in the Mail app? Or just one specific account?

I’m not sure on what you’ve tried before, but I’d give these steps a try if it goes for all accounts:

First, rebuild your Mailboxes:

Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Otherwise, I would force a re-index:

Quit the Mail app.

Open Finder.

While holding the Option key, on the top menu click Go > Library.

In the ~/Library, open:

Mail > V9 > Mail Data.

In there, delete any file beginning with “Envelope Index”.

Relaunch the Mail app while holding the Shift key, and let the mail re-download.

I’d think that would do the trick.

Otherwise, if the issue is specific to one account, I would delete the account in System Preferences > Internet Accounts, and re-add it. Just make sure it’s an IMAP account as most are nowadays, but still always a good idea to keep backups, and even exporting copies of your Mailboxes:

Import or export mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Another possible reason, would be network issues. Especially if it affects all accounts.

I would check for any VPN running in System Preferences > Network. If you have an interface on the left column indicating some VPN or security software, try clicking on it, clicking the “-“ bis low to remove it, click “Apply” restart the Mac and test.

Hope something here helps!

Email content missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.