You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone Xr screen locks during calls.

My iPhone Xr screen locks when I get a call, and stays locked after i take the phone away from my face. It won’t let me hang up or change the app for some time after.

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 12:55 PM

5 replies

Apr 29, 2022 11:23 AM in response to Screenlockincall

Hey there Screenlockincall,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. To get started, do you use Face ID or a passcode to unlock your iPhone? If using Face ID, does the passcode screen appear after a few seconds allowing you to enter your passcode and unlock your device? If not using Face ID, are you able to bring up the passcode screen with the steps below:

1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Lock Screen (on an iPhone with Face ID) or press the Home button (on other iPhone models).
2. Enter the passcode.

Let's also check if you have Attention Aware features enabled that may be causing this result. To test, try tapping Settings > Face ID & Passcode, and then turn Attention Aware features off. For more information check out this resource here: About Attention Aware features on your iPhone X or iPad Pro

Keep us updated on what you find.

Take care!

May 1, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Chris_V89

I implemented the feedback I received from Chris_V89, but still have the same issue. During a call, the screen goes black, it will not “wake up”, and I cannot interact with the call at all. I cannot hang up to end the call or utilize any other features. My daughter has a 10 minute voice mail from me of basically nothing, as I couldn’t access the screen to hang up the call.

My iPhone Xr screen locks during calls.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.