You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting an apple Tv box

Can I connect my Apple TV box to the LAN socket on a Sony tv

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 3:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 5:30 AM

no, unless your sony tv's ethernet connector is not just a way to connect the tv to a wired ethernet router (never heard about any tv which acted as switches)

you connect the appletv by hdmi cable to your tv and connect it to ac power and connect it to wifi or a wired ethernet cable to get on your network

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 27, 2022 5:30 AM in response to Superfare76

no, unless your sony tv's ethernet connector is not just a way to connect the tv to a wired ethernet router (never heard about any tv which acted as switches)

you connect the appletv by hdmi cable to your tv and connect it to ac power and connect it to wifi or a wired ethernet cable to get on your network

Apr 27, 2022 8:30 AM in response to Superfare76

This just for internet connectivity, not other connections. As an alternative to Wi-Fi.

For TV and media box (two devices) that you wish to each connect by ethernet for internet connectivity to these devices, you can probably get away with an ethernet splitter.

Pro 1: no extra ethernet cables needed all the way from the router, just short extra cables from the splitter.

Pro 2: no extra power adapter needed.

Pro 3: cheap (~$8)

Con 1: just two devices supported

Con 2: support for ‘Fast Ethernet’ (<100 Mbps) only. The TV and Apple TV will be somewhat limited in speed, but still good enough for all TV streaming content (4K HDR will normally be <25 Mbps).

A more elegant ethernet-only solution is an ethernet switch, which typically has more ports available, does intelligent routing (doesn’t send a signal to devices that don’t need it), allows for better network speeds, but needs its own power adapter.

I have an 8-port ethernet switch near my main AV setup, with currently 5 ports utilized.

Ethernet switches come in two flavors: managed and unmanaged. Unmanaged is less complex, cheaper, and most home users do not need managing (setting rules for devices).

Prices go up by number of ports (and build quality: plastic vs. metal casing). A compact unmanaged 8-port ethernet switch can be purchased for ~$22.

Connecting an apple Tv box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.