You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac slow and restarting

My iMac has been slowing down with beach balling, long pauses after each click and random restarts especially when computer is idle. I ran Etrecheck with the results above.

Im well aware that the internal storage Fusion Drive has failed or is failing for a couple months now. Back then I decided to install macOS and all my files on an external 4TB hard drive and having been running off that ever since and was working fine until now.

I thought with the bootable external hard drive it would stop accessing the internal hard drive. Is there a way to do this or is the hardware issue unrelated to the Fusion Drive?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 9:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 10:03 PM

Before you do ANYTHING backup the computer using Time Machine, please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine. The next thing to do is to take th computer to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to have it professionally serviced.

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 26, 2022 10:10 PM in response to erahi

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

2022-04-27 01:06:41 Kernel Panic (19 times)

Details:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801622c081): AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager::set

PowerState(0xffffff9a07149480 : 0xffffff801817fcf0, 3 -> 0) timed out

after 101969 ms @IOServicePM.cpp:5524

19 kernel panics within the last 7-30 days does indicate an issue. AppleAHCDDiskQueueManager tells us its related to your Mac's system drive. There is a potential way to disable a Fusion drive, but I would second rkaufmann87's suggestion that you get your Mac serviced.

May 1, 2022 3:12 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks I had a look at the article and it refers only to deleting the drive, not necessarily disabling it.

I read somewhere on a forum that you can disable the drive by simply ejecting it from Finder and that's what I did - and its worked. I've had no random shutdowns or beachballs since doing this. Which is great as I don't need to spend $$$ on a new Mac.

The only issue remaining is with Time Machine. I did try to do a backup and was very slow (> 5 hours) and it ended up restarting before finishing. I saw the report and again it was related to the internal drive (AppleAHCDDiskQueueManager). Why Time Machine was accessing the internal drive I've no idea. Are there any alternative backup solutions?

iMac slow and restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.