You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 15 inch 2015 - insert CD in usb drive and system locks up

I am trying to insert an old CD (Halo) from 2002 into my usb attached CD/DVD drive. The drive spins up then finder locks up and only frees up if I unplug the CD drive ... drive works fine on my Thinkpad. Any suggestions?

The CD/DVD is macOS 10.3 compatible and shows up as HFSPlus in a "get info".

Has Apple pulled CD/DVD support?

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 2:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 8:55 AM

zslg01 wrote:

I am trying to insert an old CD (Halo) from 2002 into my usb attached CD/DVD drive. The drive spins up then finder locks up and only frees up if I unplug the CD drive ... drive works fine on my Thinkpad. Any suggestions?

Does not sound compatible— try a different cd/dvd drive and compare your results

Apple USB SuperDrive

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive

there is a share option:

Share DVDs and CDs on Mac - Apple Support

If the cd/dvd player is third party(?) contact your third party for update/compatible driver software(?)

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 4, 2022 8:55 AM in response to zslg01

zslg01 wrote:

Does not sound compatible— try a different cd/dvd drive and compare your results

Apple USB SuperDrive

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive

there is a share option:

Share DVDs and CDs on Mac - Apple Support

If the cd/dvd player is third party(?) contact your third party for update/compatible driver software(?)

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Apr 4, 2022 9:56 AM in response to leroydouglas

It works on audio CDs and worked on this MBP until Monterey ,,, Apple in their wisdom probably pulled some support unannounced --- by the way have you tried to use a floppy lately ... it was pulled several releases ago.

Maybe I can mount it up on my Linux server and copy it over as a .iso ...

[Edited by Moderator]

macbook pro 15 inch 2015 - insert CD in usb drive and system locks up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.