You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Learning Difficulties

So I bought a MacBook Pro M1 and have been using it for about 8 months now. I am a lifetime Windows user and have made an effort to learn Mac OS and how it works. The one thing I cannot get used to is two things: 1. App switching is just very difficult and 2. Copy and Paste is a nightmare. 

When you switch apps, sometimes you can use Control Tab and other times it doesn’t show the windows. When you have more than one window open in the app, I can’t figure out how to switch to the active windows quickly. I always end up clicking on the bottom and then selecting the right window which is slow. Compared to Windows app switching it just seems slow. Is there a better way? 

For example, when Teams is running and I share my screen, it minimizes Teams and then I have to click on the Teams icon and find the right window to bring it up. In Windows, I can just ALT TAB to the right window quickly. Is there an easier way? 

Also, I know you can re-map the cut and paste keys but when I do that, when I connect to a remote Windows machine, it goes back to the Apple mappings. I cannot find a way to make CTRL C, etc default for both the local OS and remote machines. Is there anyway to map the keys so they are the same for both the local OS and remote machines? 

I love the Mac OS but I keep going back to Windows because I can’t work as fast in Mac OS due to the above issue. I really want to find a way to fix these problems so I can use it more efficiently. 

Can you help? 

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 6:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 7:20 PM

Spaces, gestures, and Mission Control: Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support. You can work extremely fast.

I can't remember the last time I "minimized" any windows. The entire "windows" metaphor is tired outdated and clunky for the exact reasons you describe. There are no "windows" in iOS. There shouldn't be any on a Mac, and perhaps one day there won't be.

The Control key is not used the same way on Macs. It has its purposes but generally speaking think of the ⌘ key as your new Control key. Forget about remapping keys. If you're trying to make your Mac work like a Windows PC, it will work like a Windows PC... poorly.

Here's a short tutorial made with your needs in mind: Mac tips for Windows switchers - Apple Support, and a more comprehensive guide: Are you new to Mac? - Apple Support.

The faster you can un-learn Windows, the happier you'll be.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 22, 2022 7:20 PM in response to smcca945

Spaces, gestures, and Mission Control: Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support. You can work extremely fast.

I can't remember the last time I "minimized" any windows. The entire "windows" metaphor is tired outdated and clunky for the exact reasons you describe. There are no "windows" in iOS. There shouldn't be any on a Mac, and perhaps one day there won't be.

The Control key is not used the same way on Macs. It has its purposes but generally speaking think of the ⌘ key as your new Control key. Forget about remapping keys. If you're trying to make your Mac work like a Windows PC, it will work like a Windows PC... poorly.

Here's a short tutorial made with your needs in mind: Mac tips for Windows switchers - Apple Support, and a more comprehensive guide: Are you new to Mac? - Apple Support.

The faster you can un-learn Windows, the happier you'll be.

Mar 22, 2022 7:12 PM in response to smcca945

Hi smcca945,

Thanks for the detailed post!

If you're using Cmd-Tab to switch between open apps, you can show all windows of an app by selecting the app in Cmd-Tab, then pressing the down or up arrow key (as you're still holding down Cmd). To return to the list of open apps, just press Tab again. Also, Mission Control can be very helpful: swipe up with three or four fingers on the trackpad, or press CTRL-up.

You can also switch between the windows of the active app by pressing CTRL-down.

In regards to CTRL-C vs Cmd-C, unfortunately I don't have a solution to that yet. That said, if you're using Microsoft Remote Desktop on your Mac to access your Windows machines, there is an option in the app preferences (on the Mac) to use Mac shortcuts for copy, cut, paste, select all, undo, and find. This allows Cmd-C (and the other mentioned shortcuts) to act as CTRL-C.

Mar 24, 2022 7:08 PM in response to smcca945

Some apps may allow you to use Command + Tilde to cycle through the open windows within a single app.

You can also add the Shift key to the Command + Tilde combination or the Command + Tab combination to cycle the windows or apps in the other direction. (Command + Tilde + Shift, and Command + Tab + Shift)

It takes some getting used to using the Command key instead of the Control key. I sometimes still make mistakes since I use both macOS and Linux (Linux uses the Control key just like Windows). When you start messing with too much with the core structure of macOS such as the Command key functionality you are likely asking for problems just like @John Galt mentions. macOS really does not like to be modified/customized very much or things may break especially anything near the core functionality.

Mac OS Learning Difficulties

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.