You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Unlocked Phone outside USA

I have a used iphone 12 pro which was said to be unlocked. However, outside USA, it is asking to add data plan by QR code or manually.

Does it mean that the phone is locked to US carriers only?

In general settings, it says no sim restrictions in network provider lock. It has 2 available sims.

How to use the phone?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 12:43 AM

5 replies

Mar 20, 2022 12:51 PM in response to Heetesh

It is asking information to activate the eSIM. I recommend that you reset and restore the iPhone back to factory settings. This should also remove the other person’s Apple ID (if one is still present) and you should choose the option to remove all eSIM accounts during the restoration.

Please click here 👉 To learn how to restore your iPhone back to Factory Settings.

Axel F.

Mar 20, 2022 9:03 AM in response to Axel Foley

No sim is activated. The person who sold me the phone unlocked it, removed icloud account and so sim came in it. I inserted the sim card from my local carrier which works on another iphone but when I’m using it on the 12 pro, it says to add qr code. So don’t know if it is asking me about the esim instead of normal one.

On my current phone and local carrier, mobile data shows this.

on the new phone i only get these.

How to setup the physical sim?

i also don’t see that is is locked to a carrier in the usa only. It says no sim restrictions which means that it is unlocked to be used internationally.

Mar 20, 2022 2:19 AM in response to Heetesh

This means that your carrier does not provide service outside of the US and therefore requires to add a data plan fit for the country / region that you are in. You should contact your carrier and inquire about this.

You can even get a SIM card from a local carrier in the country that you are in and that will work on your unlocked iPhone.

You stated that you have two available SIMs. One of those is an eSIM and the other is a physical SIM. Are they both active?

Axel F.

Mar 20, 2022 3:58 AM in response to Axel Foley

The phone was previously being used by someone in usa. I bought this and it is not locked to a carrier.

I don’t know how to check if it has been unlocked but should be used only in usa or can be used worldwide with any carrier. I am from Mauritius.

I have my local sim card from my career. When setting up, I get to either insert qr code or set up manually insert sm-dp+address. I never saw that before when trying my sim card on an iphone.

is this related to esim or only restricted to usa? If yes, is there a way to use it internationally?

Apple Unlocked Phone outside USA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.