You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

table name not saving

So I'm running Numbers version 11.2. I have two tabs I'm working on with the same tables in each but with different data inputs. I use it to track fitness levels from week to week, hence why the tables are all the same but the data is entered differently. I was making my second week and copied all the tables over to the second week with no problems until I got to the very last one and it refuses to save the table under the same name as the one in the previous tab no matter what I do. This has not been an issue for any other of the the six tables I have open. No clue how to fix.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 6:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 12:25 AM

If you are using "the same tables" on each Sheet, Y=you may find it more efficient to Duplicate the sheet (and its contents) rather than creating a new sheet (with only the default new table on it), then copying each of the six tables onto the new Sheet.

On the first round, you'll need to remove all the current weeks data to make room for the second week, but you can avoid that task by duplicating the Sheet before adding any data.

Turning to the topic of your question:

If your description is accurate, you should be able to place a set of tables having the same set of table names on any Sheet in your document, provided each table of the set has a name distinct from all the other tables on that sheet.

Considering that restriction, the only reason that comes to mind for Numbers's refusal to save one of the tables is that the name assigned to that table is already used for a table on the sheet to which you are asking Numbers to place it.

"refuses to save the table under the same name as the one in the previous tab no matter what I do."

A summary of what you have done would be useful in avoiding suggesting things you have already tried.

While waiting for that, I would suggest you:

• Edit the name of the problem table on the first Sheet.
  • Select that table and Copy.
  • Go to the second sheet, click on the sheet, then Paste.
  • If the paste is successful, try removing the edits you made to that name before doing the copy and paste.
  • If the original name is accepted, all should be good. Go back to Sheet 1 and remove the edits to the name of the table on that page.
  • If not, check the names of all other tables on the sheet for any duplicates of that name.

General practice:

In most cases it is recommended that data entry and formulas summarizing parts of that data be separated.

An example is the Personal Budget template, which contains two tables placed on separate sheets.

The Transactions table (on the sheet of the same name) is used to collect all of the expenditure data.

On the Budget sheet, the Summary by Category table contains entered data only in column B ( Budget ), data that is entered only at the beginning of the budget period.

All other data on this table is collected from the Transactions table on the first sheet, then compared with the budget amounts for each category and used to feed the two graphs on the Budget Sheet.

The data table (Transactions) will grow in length as more data is added. but that growth can be visually alleviated byt adding a filter that hides all rows containing a date (in column A) prior to the date 'n' days before Today.

The filter can be turned off when you want to see the whole list of data or on to show only the 'current' days.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 20, 2022 12:25 AM in response to rebeccamarsh

If you are using "the same tables" on each Sheet, Y=you may find it more efficient to Duplicate the sheet (and its contents) rather than creating a new sheet (with only the default new table on it), then copying each of the six tables onto the new Sheet.

On the first round, you'll need to remove all the current weeks data to make room for the second week, but you can avoid that task by duplicating the Sheet before adding any data.

Turning to the topic of your question:

If your description is accurate, you should be able to place a set of tables having the same set of table names on any Sheet in your document, provided each table of the set has a name distinct from all the other tables on that sheet.

Considering that restriction, the only reason that comes to mind for Numbers's refusal to save one of the tables is that the name assigned to that table is already used for a table on the sheet to which you are asking Numbers to place it.

"refuses to save the table under the same name as the one in the previous tab no matter what I do."

A summary of what you have done would be useful in avoiding suggesting things you have already tried.

While waiting for that, I would suggest you:

• Edit the name of the problem table on the first Sheet.
  • Select that table and Copy.
  • Go to the second sheet, click on the sheet, then Paste.
  • If the paste is successful, try removing the edits you made to that name before doing the copy and paste.
  • If the original name is accepted, all should be good. Go back to Sheet 1 and remove the edits to the name of the table on that page.
  • If not, check the names of all other tables on the sheet for any duplicates of that name.

General practice:

In most cases it is recommended that data entry and formulas summarizing parts of that data be separated.

An example is the Personal Budget template, which contains two tables placed on separate sheets.

The Transactions table (on the sheet of the same name) is used to collect all of the expenditure data.

On the Budget sheet, the Summary by Category table contains entered data only in column B ( Budget ), data that is entered only at the beginning of the budget period.

All other data on this table is collected from the Transactions table on the first sheet, then compared with the budget amounts for each category and used to feed the two graphs on the Budget Sheet.

The data table (Transactions) will grow in length as more data is added. but that growth can be visually alleviated byt adding a filter that hides all rows containing a date (in column A) prior to the date 'n' days before Today.

The filter can be turned off when you want to see the whole list of data or on to show only the 'current' days.

Regards,

Barry

table name not saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.