You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2-factor authentication

Since updating my OS and getting a new iphone, 2-factor authentication codes are still sent to my phone, as usual, but now the codes also appear on my desktop, right next to the window asking for a code, thereby completely defeating the purpose.

So now anyone who gains access to my computer can also gain full access to my Paypal, one of my bank accounts, and all sorts of other sites where I set up 2-factor authentication TO PREVENT EASY ACCESS.

I have poked around all the settings and preferences I could think of, and can find no way to prevent this bizarre security breach Apple has created in their updating of iMessages on the desktop so that it now displays everything ever sent to my phone, thus defeating the purpose of having 2FA in the first place.

Someone else asked this question 3 years ago, and the sole response was from someone who didn't understand the question. I sure would appreciate it if someone could help! Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 11:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 7:13 AM

djennifer wrote:

Since updating my OS and getting a new iphone, 2-factor authentication codes are still sent to my phone, as usual, but now the codes also appear on my desktop, right next to the window asking for a code, thereby completely defeating the purpose.

So now anyone who gains access to my computer can also gain full access to my Paypal, one of my bank accounts, and all sorts of other sites where I set up 2-factor authentication TO PREVENT EASY ACCESS.

I have poked around all the settings and preferences I could think of, and can find no way to prevent this bizarre security breach Apple has created in their updating of iMessages on the desktop so that it now displays everything ever sent to my phone, thus defeating the purpose of having 2FA in the first place.

Someone else asked this question 3 years ago, and the sole response was from someone who didn't understand the question. I sure would appreciate it if someone could help! Thanks.

d̶e̶f̶e̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶p̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶2̶F̶A̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶.̶

This seems normal.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID from iPhone

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 16, 2022 7:13 AM in response to djennifer

djennifer wrote:

d̶e̶f̶e̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶p̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶2̶F̶A̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶.̶

This seems normal.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID from iPhone

Mar 16, 2022 8:54 AM in response to leroydouglas

You think it’s normal to send a secret code — which used to only go to my phone, thus requiring that someone has 2 pieces of my hardware — to my computer, where it pops up next to the place where said code should be inputted in order to access my private health information or PayPal.

That isn’t authentication, it’s just a 5 second delay in accessing private accounts.

2-factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.