You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac book air will not go past choose network on startup

I backed up my Mac book air and then transferred it to my new Mac book pro. I left it over night and the battery died. I plugged it in and when it started it said Choose Network. I chose the network and after about 30 minutes I got a symbol with a globe and a symbol and a Apple support address. It won't go past that screen no matter what I do

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 6:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 7:24 PM

I've tried and it always goes back to the Choose Network screen and I can not do anything else. Since I transferred everything on the back up to my new MacBook Pro, could it have wiped out the OS? I did not clear anything off, I was going to do that today so I could send it in as a trade in. Worked perfectly yesterday.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 6, 2022 7:24 PM in response to Scott-he-him

I've tried and it always goes back to the Choose Network screen and I can not do anything else. Since I transferred everything on the back up to my new MacBook Pro, could it have wiped out the OS? I did not clear anything off, I was going to do that today so I could send it in as a trade in. Worked perfectly yesterday.

Mar 6, 2022 6:44 PM in response to mpd1232

Hello,

The "globe and a symbol" indicates your Mac tried to start up Recovery OS but could not. The below article gives details and next steps.

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

"If you see the globe and alert symbol, try these solutions:

• Make sure that your Mac can connect to the internet. If you're not prompted to choose a Wi-Fi network during startup, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu , if available.
  • Press Command-R at startup to try using the built-in Recovery system instead of internet Recovery.
  • Connect to the internet using Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi, or vice versa.
  • Connect to the internet from a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network. Your network configuration might not allow the internet access that macOS Recovery needs.
  • Try again later, because the issue might be temporary.
  • Start up from another disk or volume, if available, or use a bootable installer to reinstall macOS.

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support."

I hope this helps.

Mac book air will not go past choose network on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.