You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to reset Apple ID password

I got anew iPhone for my son in January. He had to set it up manually as the camera on his old iPhone had broken. We were unable to reset and had to wait 3 weeks for an email to restore his or something, I forget as this has been going on so long. Anyhow, we get the email and he goes to reset password, a call comes through with a verification number which we then input and has to wait again for 24 hours for a further text which then never arrives. We try again and we go round in a circle again.

so my question is, how can we get this sorted? He has a fab new phone he can’t fully use. I tried Apple support chat but again we didn’t get a text and have now not tried again as support said the more you try, the more it looks dodgy so we’ve left it around 3 weeks.

Can you cancel your Apple ID so a new one can be created? He has kept his original mobile number so can it be disassociated? Would that sort it?

Whilst I understand security measures are in place to protect, I am looking at a formal complaint as this is becoming ridiculous.

Sorry for the essay, hoping someone can help

iPhone 12

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 2:14 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 6, 2022 4:57 PM in response to Deblec

He doesn't need to cancel the ID, he can just stop using the ID.

If he creates/uses a new Apple ID, he will lose access to some of his data and the purchases made with his existing Apple ID. He can try setting up Family Sharing between the IDs if he wants to be able to share purchases made with the IDs.

Family Sharing.   *

ASC YouTube for Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up.  *

Apple ID - create a new.      *

Apple ID – Create   -

Apple ID - Could Not Create or Could Not Set Up iCloud message.    *

He needs to change/add the number on his Apple ID. Look in the Security section when signed in online. He may have to add the new number before he can remove the old number. After the change, allow up to 24 hours for the change to sync. Before trying to make the change, sign out of Messages/FaceTime on all devices/computers.

Apple ID - Manage 

Unable to reset Apple ID password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.