You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to import media into TV app on macOS Monterey

Hi there. I have some old movies on my Mac that I'm trying to import into my TV app library. However, for whatever reason, the TV app can't import them. Originally I think it was because the files were .mkv, but I rewrapped them to .mp4 and it still won't import. It doesn't give an error or anything. I even tried dragging them into the "Automatically Add to TV" folder under [User]/Movies/TV/Media. It just added a new folder called "Not imported" with the video files. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 9:34 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 3, 2022 3:52 PM in response to James Brickley

I am aware that .mp4 and .mkv are containers. I chose to rewrap because I wanted to avoid long encoding times and potential generational quality loss. But I guess like you said something inside is flagging the video as un-importable.

I just cross-checked the file that won't import with one that did a while ago using MediaInfo. Both use AVC encoding for the video stream (h.264). The one that won't import has a variable bit rate, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue. The one that won't import uses DTS-HD audio, perhaps that could be an issue? Seems like the unfortunate truth is unless Apple provides a specifications sheet for importing videos it's all trial and error.

I'm attaching screenshots of MediaInfo's comparison view in case you or anyone else have insight with this data.

Mar 3, 2022 2:13 PM in response to theschlaepfer

An MKV or MP4 file are merely containers. The content tracks stored could be encoded with a variety of different codecs and differing standards. Apple doesn't support everything. Mostly mpeg4 h.264 / h.265, etc.

Try converting the videos with Handbrake that should handle the conversions that need to occur internally within the MKV / MP4 containers.

Unable to import media into TV app on macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.