You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't QuickTime play .mov files with macOS Monterey?

Why won't QuickTime play .mov files anymore? Are they going to fix this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 4:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 5:14 PM

Quicktime does play video from a large number of video encoders (codecs) and containers.

Here's are a few things to try:

1) If you can open the file in QuickTime (without playing), display its format using QuickTime>Window>Show Movie Inspector. This may give a clue as to why it won't play.

2) Use HandBrake to convert the mov file to mp4

3) If neither of the above steps work, try using VLC to play the file

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 24, 2022 5:14 PM in response to wai249

Quicktime does play video from a large number of video encoders (codecs) and containers.

Here's are a few things to try:

1) If you can open the file in QuickTime (without playing), display its format using QuickTime>Window>Show Movie Inspector. This may give a clue as to why it won't play.

2) Use HandBrake to convert the mov file to mp4

3) If neither of the above steps work, try using VLC to play the file

Feb 26, 2022 1:28 PM in response to BlueberryLover

No I can't open them. This is the message. This file contains some media that isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player. I have always viewed on Quicktime and I can use FCPX which is what I edit on and VLC if I don't want the hassle of opening FCPX and using the 'import' just to view. Which is a hassle. With Quicktime you can press spacebar to see what the video contains. So no need to use any app or programme. What has changed? And will it be fixed?

Why won't QuickTime play .mov files with macOS Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.