You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I update my MacBook Pro (2015) from High Sierra to Monterrey?

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 4:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 6:01 PM

Only you can make that decision. Make sure you have enough free disk space. You could upgrade in steps to make it work better. Start with Mojave. How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support Then if your computer is compatible.macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support Go ahead an download it. Be aware that any 32 bit programs will not work in Monterey.https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-monterey/id1576738294

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 21, 2022 6:01 PM in response to helenafromdenton

Only you can make that decision. Make sure you have enough free disk space. You could upgrade in steps to make it work better. Start with Mojave. How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support Then if your computer is compatible.macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support Go ahead an download it. Be aware that any 32 bit programs will not work in Monterey.https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-monterey/id1576738294

Feb 21, 2022 5:53 PM in response to helenafromdenton

You MUST have a local, disk-based backup before you attempt major upgrades. MacOS does not allow you to go back unless you remove all traces of a newer macOS (by completely ERASEing the drive) and re-install the old version, then restore your files from backup.

Along that same line of thinking I suggest you move to 10.15 Catalina first, and only when you are certain it is working for you, move on to a later version. The reason I say this is that your first backup under MacOS Big Sur and Monterey and later will change the Time Machine drive format to APFS, which could make going back to an older version of MacOS much harder.

Feb 21, 2022 6:02 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Be careful with the Big Sur update , make sure you have a backup of your status so far first. It loaded before I knew what to expect (it being my first backup on my MacBook Pro 16"). It slowed my Mac ,interfered with some connections, it took four Apple techies and each did a factory reset when they got stuck. and then along came Montetrey (I'm on 12.1 now), it cleaned up earlier problems and introduced a slew of features.

My thanks though to all those more experienced people than I that nursed me through the whole nightmare. I thought I'd broken my laptop.

Mar 3, 2022 8:04 AM in response to helenafromdenton

Not if you use bluetooth earphones.

Since installing Monterrey my favorite Bluetooth earphones no longer connect. I've read a lot of people having the same issues. There seem to be a lot of steps that work for some, not for others. It's been a real problem for those of us who need to communicate with clients while working. Haven't been able to find any solution that works. Apple offers tips about disconnecting anything connected to your Macbook Pro, re-setting Bluetooth SMC LMNOP settings and disconnecting flange gonkulators or something. (Sarcasm.) Works for some. Not for others. My advice is to stay away from Monterrey if you rely on Bluetooth connections. It's a bummer. (Monterrey feels great beside that one major problem.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.