You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I can only restore a back-up created with Catalina, what happens when Apple sends an upgrade to my iMac and it now runs with a new OS ? How do I restore those backed up files if I need access to them with the new OS?

So if I can only restore a back-up created with Catalina, on my 27" 2014 iMac when it is running Catalina, what happens when Apple sends an upgrade to my iMac and it now runs with a new OS (eg. Big Sur)? How do I restore those backed up files if I need access to them? How do I restore them to my computer?

Thanks!

Ron

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 11:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 3:06 AM

Personally, I would set aside the Time Machine backup Drive that was used on Catalina for safe keeping.

Get a New External Drive and start a New Time Machine backup on the new drive.

One can still access the Catalina Backups if some files are on it the same way as when using Catalina

3 replies

If I can only restore a back-up created with Catalina, what happens when Apple sends an upgrade to my iMac and it now runs with a new OS ? How do I restore those backed up files if I need access to them with the new OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.