You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no Wi-Fi icon on the first step titled “Activate Mac”

I see the menu with various options on the right side and on the left side is language and input control, no option for selecting Wi-Fi. My iMac 24 doesn’t have a Ethernet port.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 3:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 4:37 PM

Look in System Preferences - Network - ensure Wi-Fi is selected on the left panel - Click "Show Wi-Fi Status in Menu Bar" and you will see the Wi-Fi icon in the upper right of the display. Then select your network.

2 replies

Feb 19, 2022 5:06 PM in response to rkaufmann87

My apologies, my question read outside of the support article I was referencing makes the question a bit ambiguous.

I was doing a factory reset on OS Monterey.

after selecting erase data from the apple support docs, the system boots into a recovery mode where it first attempts to activate the OS. This is a recovery window as there is no OS installed at this point. The recovery window does not have any options for Wi-Fi to enable, disable or options for display position. I’ve used keyboard tab keys to cycle the whole screen to ensure I didn’t miss a drop down. I also mouse selected all 3 drop downs on the screen. There is no Wi-Fi option.

Resolution: I literally did nothing, left the computer for approx 1 hour for dinner and when I returned the same screen had a Wi-Fi option in the top right just as you would expect when in the normal OS and in recovery mode.

There is no Wi-Fi icon on the first step titled “Activate Mac”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.