You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview does not save annotations

Hi

I am working in Preview using text boxes to annotate a pdf. When I Save, Quit and reopen, most of the annotations are lost. Really frustrating.

I see this question coming back repeatedly over the years but without an answer. This seems a pretty basic requirement, and given that it's been an issue for years, would be odd if Apple hadn't addressed somehow.

Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 9:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 3:25 AM

Hi James

The inspector shows me this - so indeed it's locked. I received the pdf from a 3rd party - a form I need to fill in and send back. I received via email and downloaded into iCloud before playing with it.

On further experimentation, I found that if I made an annotation, and then immediately closed the file, it would save the annotation. I repeated this several times and it appeared to work. It also seemed to work whether I created the annotation through the Tools menu, or copied and pasted a previous one. If I copied several annotations quickly and then saved, then this also worked. But if I had the document open a while, and made multiple changes over a period, and then closed the document, then they largely disappeared. So it appears to me there is a time-element to this - working quickly and closing often appeared to help.

Not a particularly convenient workaround, but may help others a little.

thanks

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 18, 2022 3:25 AM in response to James Brickley

Hi James

The inspector shows me this - so indeed it's locked. I received the pdf from a 3rd party - a form I need to fill in and send back. I received via email and downloaded into iCloud before playing with it.

On further experimentation, I found that if I made an annotation, and then immediately closed the file, it would save the annotation. I repeated this several times and it appeared to work. It also seemed to work whether I created the annotation through the Tools menu, or copied and pasted a previous one. If I copied several annotations quickly and then saved, then this also worked. But if I had the document open a while, and made multiple changes over a period, and then closed the document, then they largely disappeared. So it appears to me there is a time-element to this - working quickly and closing often appeared to help.

Not a particularly convenient workaround, but may help others a little.

thanks

Feb 17, 2022 10:48 AM in response to FlailingLimbs

First a few questions:

1. Is this happening with every PDF or only specific PDFs?
  2. Are the PDF's files that you personally created? Printed from macOS to PDF? Created in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC by you?
  3. Where are the PDF's stored? Local filesystem such as Documents? An external drive? A network shared folder? Or on any cloud services, iCloud? OneDrive? DropBox?, etc.

PDF files coming from someone else may have security restrictions enabled. Open one of the problematic PDF files and click Tools and Show Inspector and go to the middle tab to view the permissions. If Annotations are restricted you will need the password on the PDF to change that permission. One of the main selling points to PDF technology is the ability to restrict how the files are used. This makes sense for many business documents where you wouldn't want someone replacing a company logo, or copying confidential information, etc.

I've had zero problems saving annotations to PDFs that I create myself. But I have definitely run into PDFs from a 3rd party that are encrypted and restricted with various permissions. In recent years, Apple added support for encryption and these restrictions where previously these files didn't work at all.

Preview does not save annotations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.