You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't drag a folder onto my desktop

Hi! I noticed ever since I updated my Mac, my folders don't show on my desktop screen. And I'm unable to drag and drop the folder back onto my screen. How can I fix this?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 8:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 2:34 PM

Hello hgladner331,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities. We understand that after updating you're no longer showing or able to move folders to your Desktop. Does the same thing happen if you start up in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If so, let us know more:

• What happens when you try to move a folder?
  • Does an alert appear, and if so, what does it say?

The more details you can provide the better.

Take care.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2022 2:34 PM in response to hgladner331

Hello hgladner331,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities. We understand that after updating you're no longer showing or able to move folders to your Desktop. Does the same thing happen if you start up in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If so, let us know more:

• What happens when you try to move a folder?
  • Does an alert appear, and if so, what does it say?

The more details you can provide the better.

Take care.

Feb 14, 2022 9:32 AM in response to hgladner331

If you open you browser and go to iCloud, com and sign in. And you have a desktop folder there. You can download it to your computer and should then be able to put it on you desktop. Just thought of something. Go to finder (top left) and click on it then open preferences and go to sidebar. Open and make sure under iCloud all the boxes are checked. Including desktop.

i can't drag a folder onto my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.