You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard help

I have an extended keyboard with a numeric pad on the right side. Keyboard is working fine but numeric pad won't work at all. I've tried the instructions I found online but nothing works. Any ideas?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 1:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 7:31 AM

Keyboard is working fine but numeric pad won't work at all.

That is a very odd failure mode I've not heard of. As you've only had the computer for six months, it and its keyboard are still in warranty, and this is not sounding like some you can fix at home.

I would call Apple immediately and have them fix it.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2022 7:31 AM in response to farone1222

Keyboard is working fine but numeric pad won't work at all.

That is a very odd failure mode I've not heard of. As you've only had the computer for six months, it and its keyboard are still in warranty, and this is not sounding like some you can fix at home.

I would call Apple immediately and have them fix it.

Feb 9, 2022 3:41 PM in response to farone1222

Ok, thanks, that help with understanding what keyboard you actually have.

Since you have been having this issue with macOS Big Sur, and especially not resolved with Monterey, indicates that the issue is not necessarily related to the operating system. That would lead me to believe, that this may be a hardware/firmware issue with either the keyboard itself or with the iMac.

As such, I would suggest trying, at least, the following three things:

1. For Intel-based Macs, I would suggest that you reset the computer's SMC. Since you have an M1-based Mac, this doesn't apply and simply restarting the Mac should perform the same thing.
  2. Double-check your current keyboard settings @ System Preferences > Keyboard to be sure the correct keyboard is being "seen" by your Mac.
  3. Try another keyboard. If it works, then this would narrow down the issue to the current keyboard. If it doesn't either, then this would indicate a potential issue with the Mac itself.

Feb 9, 2022 1:28 PM in response to farone1222

It would help if you can provide us with the make & model of this "extended" keyboard that you are referring to in your post. We can only go by what you tell us. All we know, so far, is that you have a 21.5" iMac, running macOS Monterey and that this keyboard's numeric pad doesn't seem to work. Also, is this keyboard designed to work with Apple products?

keyboard help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.