You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

terminal command not found

Hi. I am trying to create an El Capitan boot usb drive. The InstallMacOSX.pkg file in in my application folder on my iMac24. The usb drive is formatted and called OSX

When I run the line:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/OSX --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

I am getting a response from terminal:

sudo: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

I am not conversant with terminal and am using the above code from the apple support site. Clearly I have something wrong, but can any kind person please advise me what, and I have been looking at this code for an hour now and cannot see what the issue is

Thanks

A

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 4:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 6:10 AM

Upgrade it to Snow Leopard and then use the El Capitan installer. Alternatively, use a newer Mac to create the thumbdrive, start up from it on the old one, and erase or repartition the internal drive.

(213910)

Similar questions

4 replies

terminal command not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.