You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minimum charger brick wattage allowed for new 14" MacBook Pro?

Curious to find out the minimum allowed charging requirements for the newest 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro chip base model... 8-Core, 14-Core GPU, 16GB Unified Memory, and 512GB SSD. It came with the 87W charging brick, and I was also told it is compatible to use the 96W charger for the fast charging feature.

However, my question is that I have a 61W charging brick w/ USB-C at my moms for convenience when I visit over there from my 2019 MacBook Pro that I had. Will I be able to continue using the 61W charging brick using USB-C, or should I invest in the larger size? They're not exactly cheap so just trying to figure out if it's worth the investment and if I need to toss the 61W brick... and I don't need it for fast charging when I stay plugged in 90% of the time anyways. Just don't want to harm the system by using a lower wattage charger if that is bad for the system, and I can't seem to find any information on whether it would be safe to use with my new 14" MacBook Pro...

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 11:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 12:17 PM

Will I be able to continue using the 61W charging brick using USB-C, ...

Yes. It won't harm anything.

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook explains "... you can charge your Mac notebook with any USB-C power adapter or display."

For fast charging, "Learn what cable and power adapter you need to fast charge your MacBook Pro."

Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2022 12:17 PM in response to MLefers

Will I be able to continue using the 61W charging brick using USB-C, ...

Yes. It won't harm anything.

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook explains "... you can charge your Mac notebook with any USB-C power adapter or display."

For fast charging, "Learn what cable and power adapter you need to fast charge your MacBook Pro."

Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Minimum charger brick wattage allowed for new 14" MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.