You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

m2 ssd not visible as internal disk - ok when usb mounted

Hi

Customer’s a1466 from mid 2017 with OSX 10.15.7 was running out of disk space – only 120 GB SSD.

So the procedure I am using to increase disk capacity to 250 GB is as follows:

1. Setup:
    1. M2 SSD – I used samsung 860 evo 250 GB
    2. Adapter kit e.g. https://mackabler.dk/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-kort-1285.html?q=m2%20adapter
    3. M2 enclosure e.g. https://mackabler.dk/m2-ssd-hard-disk-holder-med-usb-30-1211.html?q=m2%20hold
    4. Techtool HD recovery USB generated with Techtool pro 13

2.     First make time machine backup of mac - OK

3.     Then install new ssd in m2 enclosure and attach it as usb disk to mac - OK

4.     Then format the new ssd in diskutility (erase + first aid) - OK

5.     Shutdown mac and swap old ssd with new ssd incl. adapter kit - OK

6.     Boot in recovery mode (power + alt) to start from recovery disk - OK

7.     However new ssd is *not* visible in disk utility although m2 disk is OK by (4)

Any suggestions to overcome this issue?

Br

Peter

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 1:35 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Feb 8, 2022 10:34 AM in response to HWTech

Hi

Thanks a lot

for your support.

Pls. find

below my comments:

1. Bootable installers created using this link https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201372.
  2. Done both for Catalina and Monterey – but same issue that you can’t see the internal Samsung ssd in terminal
  3. Have tried with 2 Sintech adapters, since I was suspecting the adapter
  4. Samsung M2 SSD is certainly OK – I can boot from it fine when USB mounted

Br

Peter

Feb 8, 2022 6:32 AM in response to plaurits

The picture does not make any sense. If you were booting from a real macOS installer (online or USB), then there would be dozens of virtual volumes present since you are not filtering the list of drives/volumes. A macOS disk created by Tech Tool may not contain a full version of macOS which may not be able recognize the NVMe SSD when installed internally.

Did you use Internet Recovery Mode?

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Did you create and use a bootable macOS USB installer using the official Apple instructions? Creating a bootable macOS USB installer using any other method is most likely to fail. I thought I had already provided those instructions, but I guess I forgot to include it or accidentally deleted it before posting. Sorry about that.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Feb 14, 2022 11:01 AM in response to plaurits

Hi

I have found the issue. I was using a SATA M.2 SSD, but the internal i/f for macbook A1466 is NVME M.2 SSD.

So sintech’s adapter has no issue as long as you use NVME M.2 SSD.

Hence the verified procedure is as follows:

1.                        You need

a.                        NVME M.2 SSD – I used samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVME M.2

b.                        Sintech Adapter kit e.g. https://mackabler.dk/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-kort-1285.html?q=m2%20adapter

c.                        Alternatively you may use OWC SSD, which does not require adapter – see

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/aura-pro-x2.

d.                        However OWC ssds are slower than the newest Samsung ssds.

e.                        Recovery USB disk with OSX – ref https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201372 - I used catalina

2.                        First make time machine backup of mac to external USB disk.

3.                        Boot in recovery mode (power + alt) to start from recovery disk

4.                        Then format the new ssd in diskutility (erase + first aid)

5.                        Shutdown down mac, remove back plate, disconnect battery.

6.                        Then install new ssd in m2 adapter and swap it with old SSD.

7.                        Boot in recovery mode (power + alt) to start from recovery disk.

8.                        Mount external USB disk from (2)

9.                        Finally restore time machine backup from (2) to new ssd.

Note: If you have a M.2 NVME enclosure procedure simplifies a bit:

2.                        Boot in recovery mode (power + alt) to start from recovery disk

3.                        Install new ssd in M.2 NVME enclosure and attach as USB disk.

4.                        Then format the new ssd in diskutility (erase + first aid)

5.                        Restore internal hard disk to new ssd.

5.                        Shutdown down mac, remove back plate, disconnect battery.

6.                        Then install new ssd in m2 adapter and swap it with old SSD.

7.                        New you can boot from new ssd.

Br Peter

Feb 5, 2022 12:40 PM in response to plaurits

May be below procedure would be better:

1. Setup as above, i.e.
    1. M2 SSD – I used samsung 860 evo 250 GB
    2. Adapter kit
    3. M2 enclosure
    4. USB recovery disk with MacOS installer

2.     First make time machine backup of mac

3.     Then install new ssd in m2 enclosure and attach it as usb disk to mac

4. Create MacOS installer USB

5. Boot mac from MacOS USB (alt + power)

6.    Then format the new ssd in diskutility (erase + first aid)

7. Restore time machine backup from (2) to new usb attached ssd.

8.  Shutdown mac and swap old ssd with new ssd incl. adapter kit.

9. Finally boot from new ssd.

Br Peter

Feb 8, 2022 3:55 AM in response to plaurits

Hi again

Unfortunately the procedure below still does not pick up the m2 ssd when mounted as internal disk.

Any suggestions?

Specifically:

1. Setup as above, i.e.

a. M2 SSD – I used samsung 860 evo

250 GB

b. Adapter kit

c. M2 enclosure

2. Install new ssd in m2 enclosure and attach it as usb disk to mac

3. Create MacOS installer USB

4. Boot mac from MacOS USB (alt + power)

5. Then format the new ssd in diskutility (erase + first aid)

6. Restore internal SSD to new usb attached ssd.

7. Boot from new usb attached SSD - OK

8. Shutdown mac and swap old ssd with new ssd incl. adapter kit.

9. Finally boot from new ssd - however new SSD not recognized by diskutility or terminal

Feb 6, 2022 1:07 PM in response to plaurits

Modify your steps by changing Step #7 to install macOS, then restore from TM backup during initial setup of the new OS. AFAIK, restoring a TM backup like you are doing it not setting up all the macOS volumes nor it is making the new SSD bootable.

You can do all this with the new SSD connected externally. You could even use Setup Assistant to migrate from the internal drive during the initial configuration of the new OS on the external drive. I don't use TM, so I'm not certain if the latter will have any impact on your current TM backup.

Make sure you erase the new SSD as GUID partition and APFS (top option). You can also do this while booted to the macOS installer (Recovery Mode or USB installer). There is no need to have the new SSD installed internally either until everything is finished.

Feb 7, 2022 7:04 AM in response to HWTech

Hi

Thanks for response.

Following your suggestion I will try below procedure tomorrow:

1. Setup as above, i.e.

a. M2 SSD – I used samsung 860 evo 250 GB

b. Adapter kit

c. M2 enclosure

2. Install new ssd in m2 enclosure and attach it as usb disk to mac

3. Create MacOS installer USB

4. Boot mac from MacOS USB (alt + power)

5. Then format the new ssd in diskutility (erase + first aid)

6. Restore internal SSD to new usb attached ssd.

7. Shutdown mac and swap old ssd with new ssd incl. adapter kit.

8. Finally boot from new ssd.

Feb 8, 2022 10:21 AM in response to plaurits

plaurits wrote:

No, above screenshot was made when booting from OSX monterey recovery usb, generated as per apple’s instructions.

What instructions did you follow? Can you provide a link? You mention "recovery usb" which is a term I've never heard Apple use before so I want to make sure what that means too.

I've only used the Monterey installer one time, and I don't recall whether those virtual volumes were present. I do know Monterey (and even Big Sur to some extent) has made a lot of behind the scenes changes to attempt to hide some of the complexity from users, which in the end makes other users like me cringe because then we are not shown the complete picture.

It is also beginning to look like perhaps the Samsung SSD may have a problem since the issue occurs with the SSD installed internally & externally, although there is also a slim chance that both the Sintech Adapter and the external enclosure/cable both have issues. I know the Sintech adapter seems to be the most reliable one out there, but I'm not familiar with that external enclosure. Keep in mind that older versions of macOS (10.12 and earlier) will not see an internal NVMe SSD.

Feb 8, 2022 12:06 PM in response to plaurits

Then the SSD is not compatible with this laptop when installed internally. I know there are reports of certain Samsung SSDs not being compatible with some Macs, but I don't recall the specifics. I know the EVO line usually is the one most often mentioned with compatibility issues.

I honestly don't know which make & model M.2 SSDs are the best option especially for the Retina & MBAir laptops. I do know that OWC makes an SSD that does not require an adapter and OWC supports the SSD in the Mac.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc

m2 ssd not visible as internal disk - ok when usb mounted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.