You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to properly identify my keyboard with macOS 12.2

I have difficulties with my keyboard. I have a MPB 16" Intel and I have a key between the left shift and Z (ù) on the integrated keyboard of the laptop: it has a French CSA keyboard. But I am also using an external keyboard that do not have this extra key. When I am using my external keyboard with the US English keyboard, my top left key, the one below the esc key, is inserting § when pushed instead of the usual backtick.

I can go in the System Preferences to try identifying my keyboard but whatever I choose, at the end of the process, the problem remains.

How can I restore my backtick for my US English keyboard?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 7:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 7:13 AM

OK, I found a solution. I need to identify my keyboard with the US English keyboard selected as input method. Is this a bug? Why is this not working while I have the CSA Canadian keyboard? I mean I may be using many input methods but there is only one physical keyboard that I am trying to identify.

Similar questions

3 replies

Unable to properly identify my keyboard with macOS 12.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.