You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue displaying DNGs in macos monterey

Follow up of the issue reported here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253319108

when I import DNG files coming from my Leica M (a supported device for that format). The colours are smeared and the saturation is off. Exactly as described in the discussion linked above.

I use preview and photos and both are affected.

I first noticed the problem when I entered edit mode on my iphone a while back (before monterey was released) and now the issue crept in macos!

I have reported the issue to apple support, and the bug got escalated to the engineering team...

I don't use lightroom so it's a major issue for me! Anyone else experiencing this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 11:06 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 5, 2022 4:56 AM in response to VikingOSX

Good to hear it works for you on the previous version of macos (v11.2) @VikingOSX.

I found a DNG file on kenrockwell.com's review of the Leica M type 240, downloaded and it has the same issues my DNG files have.

For good measure I created a new user in safe mode in macos, then signed in that user and tried to open the same files with the same result.

I also tried opening the file with Pixelmator and because like Preview and Photos it relies on macos libraries to read the file it has the same issues.

On my iPhone I noticed that if I look at old RAW images synced to my icloud, they look OK until I enter the Edit mode and then the image gets corrupted exactly like it does in macos.

From all my testing i'd say it's got to be a framework issue in macos (and ios)!

Here's my example from my previous post without the serial number.

Feb 2, 2022 8:20 AM in response to bounav

Here is a screenshot illustrating the issue.

On the top right hand side you can see how the image has a weird "glows" around saturated areas. At the same time the colours are undersaturated.

The window behind the Preview app is a remote desktop session to another mac running macos sierra and the image loads perfectly.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

Feb 2, 2022 5:50 AM in response to bounav

You may want to check if your DNG files are using lossy compression. I remember an issue with display of such files having a strong colour cast when displayed using Preview with an earlier version of macOS (Catalina?). After discovering that problem, I virtually stopped using the DNG format for archiving photos (however, I suspect that lossless compression with DNGs is fine).

- Pie Lover

Feb 5, 2022 5:55 AM in response to bounav

If you haven't already, I suggest that you update to macOS 12.2. Photography is a subjective pursuit, and I have no explanation for the loss of sharpness or color saturation between your images unless it is a calibration issue on an external display, or as you have noted, a change to the Leica camera RAW support, whether deliberate or accidental.

The same Leica M11 image that I previously mentioned on Big Sur, also appears sharp and with normal color on either my 2020 M1 mini with 32-inch LG 4K HDR display or on my 2021 16-in MacBook Pro M1 Pro (v12.2). I viewed these images in Preview, Photos, and Affinity Photo v1.10.4. I leave the HDR setting off as it washes out colors, but not sharpness.

Feb 5, 2022 6:03 AM in response to VikingOSX

Since my experience will lossy DNGs on the Mac, I lost faith in Apple's implementation and haven't used the DNG format since Catalina. At that time, there were definitely differences between a DNG display in Preview (for example) and the identical image displayed in Lightroom. The DNG image in Preview had a distinct colour cast.

More recently, I've been using HEIC HDR images (captured in my camera). I haven't noticed any of the earlier (DNG) issues when displayed in Preview. As a side note, my version (V6.14) of Lightroom cannot import HEIC images directly so I typically convert images to TIFF for editing. I delete the (large) TIFF files once I'm finished my edits.

- Pie Lover

Issue displaying DNGs in macos monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.