You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to upgrade OS to run iMovie

I just bought my first Mac, a refurbished 2015 to make movies on. Since iMovies was not already installed I tried though the App Store only to be told that I need to upgrade the OS. I am currently upgrading to the newest Monterey knowing that it wants me to install Big Surgery since it's calling for 11.5.1 for iMovies, which I haven't been able to do yet. I see that there are some temporary issues going on with upgrades. Should I be patient and wait for that issue to be resolved or is there a way I can download a compatible version of iMovies for Monterey?

Thanks in advance,

sandbear

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 10:40 AM

Upgrading to Monterey will allow you to obtain current iMovie. If you can upgrade now I would go ahead and do it. However, there might be some problem updating iMovie to a refurbished Mac, since whatever version of iMovie 10 that is or was on it was acquired with an Apple I.D different than yours. Doesn't hurt to try and see, though.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 31, 2022 10:40 AM in response to sandbear

Upgrading to Monterey will allow you to obtain current iMovie. If you can upgrade now I would go ahead and do it. However, there might be some problem updating iMovie to a refurbished Mac, since whatever version of iMovie 10 that is or was on it was acquired with an Apple I.D different than yours. Doesn't hurt to try and see, though.

-- Rich

Unable to upgrade OS to run iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.